Saturday, June 17, 2017

Leslie S. & Beatrice H.L.(Wells) Macdougall

Leslie Stuart Macdougall & Beatrice Helen Louise Wells

Leslie Stuart Macdougall (born 4 March 1877 at the home of Geo Eady, 66 Bathurst Street, Hobart and died 8 February 1949 in Brighton, Victoria).  Leslie married Beatrice Helen Louise Wells (born 9 September 1888 in Formby (now Devonport), Tasmania and died 8 November 1983 in Noble Park, Melbourne, Victoria) on 9 September 1912 at Railway Reserve, Hobart, Tasmania.

Leslie's parents were Sarah Ann (Allason) & William Arthur Macdougall. 
Refer to my Allason Family Archives Blog at 
and my Macdougall Family Archives Blog at

Beatrice's parents were Harry Edward Wells & Elizabeth Saunders.
Refer to my Wells Family Archives Blog at
and my Saunders Family Archives Blog at http://saunders family

Together they had 3 daughters:
Winsome Lorne Macdougall (born 22 July 1913 in Alexandra Hospital, Hobart and died 6 March 1999 in "Rosden" Nursing Home, East Burwood, Victoria).  Winsome married Allan Edward Petfield (born 12 July 1912 in Brisbane, Queensland and died 20 April 1977 in Box Hill Hospital, Melbourne) on 4 November 1939 at Queen's College, Parkville, Melbourne.  They had 2 daughters. 
Winsome (Wyn) Petfield married Cyril Charles Jarrett (born 25 February 1900 in Brighton, England and died 27 May 1987 in "Cumberland View" Retirement Village, Wheelers Hill) on 15 October 1983 at "Cumberland View" Retirement Village.

Dorothy Glaed Macdougall (born 18 August 1918 in Edinburgh Hospital, Hobart and died 20 August 2003 in Brisbane, Queensland). Dorothea married William (Bill) Gladstone Hitchings July 1970 in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia.

Margaret Elizabeth Patricia Macdougall (born 17 March 1920 in Alexandra Hospital, Hobart and died 25 September 2014 in Malvern East, Melbourne, Victoria).  Margaret married Walter James Fraser (born 3 December 1915 in Williamstown, Melbourne and died 5 October 1995 in Dandenong Valley Hospital, Melbourne) on 16 August 1941 in Williamstown Methodist Church. They had 2 children.

Leslie Macdougall - growing up

Birth Certificate for Leslie Stuart Macdougall born 4 March 1877 in Launceston.

William Macdougall built a comfortable home on corner Charles & Canning Street, Launceston in 1880. William opened a Soft Goods House in 86 George Street in 1881, and the family took up residence above the Draper's shop in 1882.
Hugh Campbell Macdougall was born 17 February 1881, Ruby Fredrica Macdougall was born 3 September 1882, twins Olive May Oban Macdougall and Ila Aisbett Macdougall were born 5 October 1888 and Gwenneth Lenore Macdougall was born 16 March 1892.

Macdougall's Drapers Shop at 86 George Street, Launceston.

Leslie attended Infant School 1882-1883, then City School 1884-1887, then 1888-1894 he attended Launceston High School. He passed his Senior Public Examination of University of Tasmania in English, History, Geography, Latin, French, Arithmetic, Algebra, Geometry, thus qualifying for Matriculation at 17 years of age.

Leslie's Certificates of Merit 1886

Leslie attended Launceston High School 1888-1894, next door to Baptist Church.  Photo taken in 2005

Leslie regularly attended Paterson Street, Methodist Church in Launceston with his family.
Leslie signed a Temperance Pledge on 5 April 1888 and at Wesleyan Methodist Church Band of Hope he pledged "to abstain from all intoxicating drinks and beverages and to discountenance all the causes and practices of intemperance" on 30 September 1890.

Leslie made a Commitment to the Lord at Paterson Street Wesleyan Methodist Church, Launceston on 12 March 1892 and was "admitted into and publicly recognised as a Member of the Australasia Wesleyan Methodist Church" on 24 August 1892. He was accepted as a Local Preacher in September 1895 at the age of 18 years.

In 1895 Leslie commenced a 1st Year Arts Degree at Tasmania University, Launceston Campus, studying in the afternoons and evening, and tutoring his young sisters Ruby, Olive and Ila in the mornings at home. Leslie failed to satisfy the examiners in 1896 (too involved in too many activities), and did not sit the examinations in 1897. He only passed Latin in 1898. It seemed his heart was not in it - he preferred to preach and study theology, photography became a passion and enjoyed tutoring the Shoobridge boys. Leslie sat exams at the end of 1899 - Mathematics 1,2 & 3, English Literature, Latin, English Authors, Latin Authors but failed all (not surprised!).  He failed again in 1900!
Leslie started to write a diary in 1895 and that continued until 1948, shortly before his death on 8 February 1949.  Joy Olney has the diaries, they have been eloquently written giving lots of details about life as a Methodist Minister in Tasmania and Victoria.

Through 2009-2010 Joy scanned every page, including Leslie's ledger of Preaching Appointments and Baptismal Records. Some diaries were rebound. Then Joy Olney scanned Beatrice Macdougall's diaries written 1953-1978, making a total of 16,500 pages. A 16GB USB is available to anyone who wishes to read the diaries in their entirety. 
Refer to my Rev.Leslie S.Macdougall Diaries Blog at
Diary entries on 17 April 1911 when Leslie & Beatrice met and when Leslie proposed on 10 November 1911.

Another example of details included in the diaries - maps, graphs and balance sheets.

Leslie Macdougall - and the Shoobridge family

For almost 3 years - from 1897 to September 1899 Leslie tutored the 4 sons of Mr Louis M.Shoobridge, (a hop farmer) - Rupert (1883-1962), Kenneth (1884-1953), Douglas (1886-1947) & Maxwell (1888-1978).  The Shoobridge families were quite a community in the Glenora, Bushy Park, Derwent Valley areas. "Providence Valley", "Turiff Lodge", "Valleyfield", "Hawthorn Lodge", "Clover Lea", "Coniston" were family properties.  

William (1781-1836) and Mary (1784-1821) Shoobridge came to Van Dieman's Land in 1821 but Mary and 3 children died during the voyage. That left William with 6 children to bring up without a wife and mother. He was granted 20 acres in Hobart Town to grow hops from plants he had brought with him from England. In 1833 William remarried but died on 15 March 1836. He bought land in the Derwent Valley in 1835 and Shoobridge families have remained in the area as Hop farmers ever since. William's son Ebenezer (1820-1901) continued to be a hop farmer in the area and had 8 children including William Ebenezer Shoobridge (1846-1940) and Louise Manton Shoobridge (1851-1939).

Ebenezer Shoobridge erected his Oasthouse Text Kiln in Bushy Park in 1867. Texts are on stone plaques around the exterior of the Kiln.  Leslie Macdougall writes about the Text Kiln in his diaries.
Ebenezer Shoobridge was elected to the House of Assembly 1882-1886.

Ebenezar Shoobridge's Oasthouse Text Kiln in Bushy Park built 1867.

Ebenezer Shoobridge was a Quaker and involved with the Methodist Church in Bushy Park.
Ebernezer Shoobridge's Oasthouse Text Kiln in Bushy Park.
Ebenezer Shoobridge's Oasthouse Text Kiln at Bushy Park.
Ebenezer Shoobridge's Oasthouse Text Kiln in Bushy Park.

Louis M.Shoobridge (1851-1939) purchased "Fenton Forest Estate" at Glenora and grew hops, fruit trees, cattle and sheep. He was one of the prime-movers in the planting of trees along the Hobart-Launceston Highway.  He was very involved in community affairs including President of the Council of Agriculture for 4 years, foundation member & President of the Farmers, Stockowners & Orchardist's Association for 5 years, President of Royal Agricultural Society of Tasmania for 3 years.  In 1921 Louis was elected to the Legislative Assembly and held office until 1937 when he retired to "Sunnyside" Newtown. Louis was elected to the Hobart City Council in 1923 and served for 14 years.  He improved many of Hobart's parks and reserves at his own expense, supplying labour, trees and plants. (Hon) Louis Shoobridge gave away one-third of his income for the last 25 years of his life to deserving causes.

Sons Rupert and Douglas registered "R.O.and D.M.Shoobridge" in 1912 took over the property at Glenora and bought "Southernfield" and "Trap Hutt", then "Marlborough" and "Cloverlea".  They sold the first two properties and bought "Cleveland".  

Rupert got his Degree at Hawkesbury Agricultural College. He joined the 1916 and was injured in Ypres in 1916 and returned home in 1918 unfit for further service. He was a member of the New Norfolk Municipal Council from 1912-1916, 1920-1922, 1928-1947.  Rupert became a member of the Legislative Council for the Division of Derwent from 1937-1955, taking over from his father. He was honoured with a Knighthood in 1947.
Kenneth became a Mechanical Engineer and went to England but returned to be a Hop Grower. Ken's property "Coniston" was part of the "Fenton Forest Estate". In 1916 Kenneth was the first hop grower to weigh green hops in the field instead of measuring them by the bushel as was the universal practice and he built the first power hop press. 1919-1920 Kenneth went to America to buy hop-picking machines but the depression changed things as hop buyers refused to buy machine picked hops and the machines remained idle until 1965. Ken was the first to grow tobacco in Tasmania.

Douglas studied at Burnley School of Horticulture in Melbourne. He conducted the stock side of the business and retired in 1946. Douglas was a member of the New Norfolk Council, a Director of the Goliath Cement Company at Hamilton and in 1946 was elected an Alderman of the Hobart City Council.  Ill-health prevented him from taking much part in Council proceedings, dying in 1947.

1st Settler William Shoobridge (1780-1836) and many other Shoobridge graves at Red Hill Cemetery, Bushy Park. Cemetery is on Tasmania Heritage Register as a place of historic cultural & heritage significance.

Ebenezer Shoobridge 1820-1901 at Red Hill Cemetery, Bushy Park, Tasmania.

"Hawthorn Lodge" home of W.E.Shoobridge (1846-1940) at Bushy Park. Son of Ebenezer Shoobridge. Now on Tasmania Heritage Register as place of significance.

"Forest Lodge" home of Rupert Shoobridge (1883-1962) on Gordon River Road, Glenora, overlooking "Fenton Forest". Now on Tasmania Heritage Register as place of significance.

In 2008 Joy & Peter Olney visited "Fenton Forest", the Shoobridge property where Leslie Macdougall tutored the 4 Shoobridge boys of Hon Louis M.Shoobridge from 1897-1899. In those days they were growing hops but today it has cattle and some vegetable crops.  Antony & Timothy Shoobridge (sons of Jim Shoobridge) were living at "Fenton Forest". Joy gave the family some memorabilia.

Joy & Peter Olney visited Jim & Cecily Shoobridge, parents of Antony & Timothy Shoobridge in 2008.

I found an interesting fact about the Shoobridges, 3 generations from William Shoobridge (born 1781) -  William's son Ebenezer Shoobridge (born 1820), to his son William Shoobridge (born 1846), to his son Henry Shoobridge (born 1874).  The story is that when Henry's father William was 8 years old he remembered meeting Betty King.  Betty was a "First Fleeter" on the vessel "Friendship". She proved to be a troublesome prisioner. When land was reached on 26 January 1788 Betty was acting as a lady's maid to the officer's wives. The women were to be first to set foot at Port Jackson but the surf was frightening.  It was agreed that a maid (Betty) be carried ashore first as a rehearsal. The story seems feasible, but there is no documented evidence to state that Betty King was indeed the first white woman to set foot on Australian soil.

Betty was transported to Norfolk Island and by 1800 was a free woman. She along with Samuel King, an ex-marine (who came to Australia with the First Fleet aboard the "Sirius") were given land grants at New Norfolk (Back River), and on 28th January 1810 they were married by Rev Robert Knopwood. Samuel died 21 October 1849 and in an unmarked grave at Back River.

"Town Courier" reported on 7th August 1856 that "Mrs Elizabeth King, the first white woman that landed in New South Wales, died this week at the Back River, New Norfolk". In Betty's Will dated 16th November 1855, Betty left her property to Ebenezer Shoobridge.  It was Mr Shoobridge's grandson Henry who went to lengths more that one hundred years after her death to replace the wooden cross and erect a tombstone in her memory in the burial grounds of Back River Methodist Church near New Norfolk with the permission of the Trustees of the Bark River Methodist Church in September 1963.

"Near this spot was laid to rest Betty King the first white woman to set foot in Australia".

Back River Methodist Church near New Norfolk where Betty King was buried.

Henry Shoobridge erected this tombstone in 1963

While researching the Shoobridge family I could not help but feel I was researching my own family. There are quite a few points of connection that I will share.

A plaque to Sir Rupert Shoobridge can be found at the base of a tree on the corner of Pioneer Avenue & Alfred Street, New Norfolk. That is the first matrimonial home of Leslie & Beatrice Macdougall when they were appointed to ministry there with the Methodist Church in 1912.

That home was called "Eardley Cottage", built in 1830 and originally owned by Sir John Eardley-Wilmott M.P.  Now on Tasmania Heritage Register as a place of historic, cultural & heritage significance.  Sir Eardley-Wilmott became Governor of Tasmania in 1843 and was responsible for the Botanical Gardens. Leslie's grandmother Elizabeth was first married to William Davidson, the 1st Superintendent of the Gardens from 1828.

"Eardley Cottage" 32 Pioneer Ave, New Norfolk (2005)

I have in my possession the wedding gift that Rupert Shoobridge gave Leslie and Beatrice on the occasion of their marriage on 9 September 1912 - a silver sugar scuttle. Mr & Mrs W.E.Shoobridge from Bushy Park gave them a silver & glass jam dish, also in my possession.

Many of the Shoobridge children went to "The Friend's School" in Warwick Street, Hobart run by the Quakers.  Samuel Clemes was appointed Headmaster there in 1887. June 1900 he established Leslie House School in Pirie Street, New Town and Leslie Macdougall commenced teaching there as Classical Master on 8 October 1900. Samuel's son William became Headmaster in 1915. Leslie House School became known as Clemes College after Samuel died in 1922. In 1946 Clemes College amalgamated with "The Friend's School".

"Leslie House School" moved to Boa Vista Street, New Town in 1907. "Leslie House School" became "Clemes College" in 1922. "Clemes College" amalgamated with "The Friend's School" in 1946.  Photo taken in 2005.

Leslie Macdougall - Ministry

Leslie was accepted as a Local Preacher in September 1895 at the age of 18 years.
In October 1899 Leslie accepted the Call to be a Home Misionary in Oatlands, Tasmania. 
September 1900 Leslie accepted the invitation by Samuel Clemes to be Classical Master at "Leslie House School" in New Town, Hobart. That appointment concluded after 15 months as he was ununamiously recommended to enter Queen's College in Melbourne in March 1902 as a Theological student.

For more details about Rev.L.S.Macdougall refer to my Rev.Leslie S Macdougall Diaries Blog: 

Leslie's detailed diaries give great insight into his life over a fifty year period. A USB is available to those who would like a copy of the diaries, but the blogs give a lot of information about the family and challenges faced as a Methodist Minister.

L.S.Macdougall MinistryAppointments

November 1895 – September 1899 Local Preacher various locations in Tasmania.
October 1899 – September 1900 Home Missionary, Oatlands, Tasmania.
October 1900 – March 1902 Local Preacher various locations in Tasmania.

March 1902 – 1904 Theological student at Queen’s College, Melbourne ie.3 years.
December 1902 – February 1903 Locum – Stanley, Tasmania.
December 1903 – April 1904 Locum – Nagambie, Victoria.
December 1904 – April 1905 Locum – Mathinna, Tasmania.
April 1905 – April 1907 1st & 2nd year Probation @ Dumbalk & Meeniyan, Victoria.
April 1907 – April 1908 3rd year Probation @ Neerim, Victoria.
April 1908 – April 1909 3rd year Probation @ Berringa & Kaleno, Victoria.
April 1909 – March 1910 4th year Probation @ South Preston, Victoria.
9 March 1910 Ordination Service, Melbourne.

April 1910 – April 1912 Queenstown & Strahan, Tasmania.
April 1912 – April 1915 New Norfolk & Glenora, Tasmania.
April 1915 – April 1918 Westbury, Tasmania.
April 1918 – April 1921 Penguin, Tasmania.

April 1921 – April 1924 Euroa, Victoria.
April 1924 – April 1929 Skipton Street, Ballarat, Victoria.
April 1929 – April 1933 Epping Street Peace Memorial East Malvern,Victoria.
April 1933 – April 1937 Coburg & Moreland, Victoria.
April 1937 – April 1942 Williamstown & Newport, Victoria.
April 1942 – April 1945 New Street & Were Street, Brighton, Victoria.

April 1945 – October 1948 Supernumerary, Brighton, Victoria.

1933 – 1942 Lecturer at “Otira” Home Missionaries Training College, Kew, Victoria.
1932 – 1947 Lecturer at Queen’s College, Melbourne, Victoria.
April 1945 Retired to 20 Comer Street, East Brighton, Victoria.
8 February 1949 Died in Brighton.

                                          Ministry appointments and Parsonages

New Norfolk, Westbury & Penguin, Tasmania 1912-1921

Euroa, Ballarat, East Malvern, Coburg, Victoria 1921-1937.

Williamstown, Brighton, Victoria 1937 - 1945 and retirement.

Leslie Macdougall and Beatrice Wells married on 9 September 1912

Leslie Macdougall 1909

Beatrice Wells 1911

Leslie Macdougall & Beatrice Wells married 9 September 1912

Rev L.S.Macdougall B.A. 1918

Macdougall family - Leslie & Beatrice with daughters Winsome, Dorothy & Margaret in 1923.

Macdougall family - Leslie  Beatrice with daughters Winsome, Dorothy & Margaret in 1928.

Winsome, Dorothy, Leslie, Beatrice and Margaret in 1936.

Wal & Margaret Fraser, Beatrice, Dorothy, Leslie, Winsome & Allan Petfield with Beatrice's mother Elizabeth Wells in 1942

Wal & Margaret Fraser with Ross & Anne, Fraser Seniors, Dorothy Macdougall, Leslie & Beatrice Macdougall, Elizabeth Wells, Petfield Seniors, Allan & Winsome Petfield with Joy & Dawn in 1947.

The 4 Grandchildren of Leslie & Beatrice in 1951 - Joy, Ross, Dawn & Anne. (R-L)

The Grandpa I remember!

The Grandma I remember!

I suggest you take a look at my other blogs relating to the Macdougalls at:

Also Beatrice's family at:

If you have any comments or corrections please contact the author, Joy Olney via email:

Friday, June 9, 2017

Sarah A.(Allason) & William A.Macdougall

Sarah Ann Allason & William Arthur Macdougall 

Sarah Ann Allason (born 17 August 1850 in "Elboden House", Davey Street, Hobart and died 21 August 1941 in "Renfrew", 14 Swan Street, New Town, Hobart).  Sarah married William Arthur Macdougall (born 15 April 1849 in "Wattle Tree Lodge", Bathurst Street, Hobart and died 2 July 1930 in "Renfrew" in 14 Swan Street, New Town, Hobart) on 15 April 1876 in home of Geo Eady according to the Rites  and Ceremonies of  Chalmers Free Presbyterian Church, Hobart, Tasmania.

William Arthur Macdougall born 15 April 1849 and baptised 27 May 1849.

Sarah Ann Allason born 17 August 1850 and baptised 13 October 1850.

Marriage Certificate for William Macdougall and Sarah Allason 15 April 1876.
William Arthur Macdougall 15 April 1849 - 2 July 1930
William & Sarah Macdougall's wedding cake made by Chas D. Haywood.

Sarah Ann (Allason) Macdougall 17 August 1850 - 21 August 1821

William & Sarah Macdougall together had 6 children: 
Leslie Stuart Macdougall (born 4 March 1877 in 66 Bathurst Street, Hobart and died 8 February 1949).  Leslie married Beatrice Helen Louise Wells (born 9 September 1888 in Formby, Tasmania and died 8 November 1983 in Noble Park, Melbourne, Victoria) on 9 September 1912 in Hobart Railway Reserve, Hobart.

Hugh Campbell Macdougall born 17 February 1881 in Launceston, Tasmania and died 7 August 1913 in Launceston Hospital, Tasmania.  Hugh remained Single.  After 13 years of illness Hugh died from T.B..

Ruby Frederica Macdougall born 3 September 1882 in Launceston and died 17 July 1972 in Queen Victoria Home for the Aged at Lindisfarne, Hobart, Tasmania.  Ruby remained Single.

Ila Aisbett Macdougall (born 5 October 1888 in Launceston Tasmania, and died 24 September 1960 in Sandy Bay, Hobart, Tasmaina).  Ila Macdougall married Leonard A.Griffiths on 5 December 1916 in Hobart, Tasmania.  A twin to Olive.

Olive May Oban Macdougall born 5 October 1888 in Launceston and died 14 November 1975 in Queen Victoria Home for the Aged at Lindisfarne, Hobart.  A twin to Ila. Olive remained Single and continued farming on King Island after Hugh and her father died.

Gwenneth Lenore Macdougall (born 16 March 1892 in Launceston and died 31 October 1982 in St. Ann's Rest Home, Davey Street, Hobart).  Gwenneth Macdougall married William Henry Fairfax Calvert on 31 October 1925 in Swan Street, Methodist Church, Newtown, Hobart, Tas.

William & Sarah Macdougall's Draper's Shop in 86 George Street, Launceston 1881 - 1903.

Macdougall's Draper Shop in 86 George Street, Launceston 1881-1903.

Joy Olney visited the shop in 2005.  Note the facade is still the same.

The Macdougall family were regular attenders of Patterson Street Methodist Church, Launceston.

In 1901 William Macdougall bought a property "Dunollie"on King Island, 6 miles north of Currie on Porky River.  Hugh went with his father to help establish the properties.  In March 1903 William bought another property at "Lorne", 12 miles south of Curried on Ettrick River and erected a house.  Sarah and the girls shifted to "Lorne" in September 1904.

Macdougall family on 9 September 1908 at "Lorne" on King Island. Leslie standing, Ila, Sarah, Ruby, Hugh, Olive, William standing back, Gwenneth sitting in front.

Macdougall family 9 September 1908 at home in "Lorne", King Island.

Troubled times on King Island

The years on King Island were not good times for the family.  Firstly Hugh Macdougall was most unwell from 1907, with many lengthy times in Hospital. By September 1909 Hugh's spinal injury was so very serious that he was encased in plaster of paris in December 1909. After six years of continuous and cruel pain, Hugh passed away on 7 August 1913 from "exhaustion originating from long continued Tuberculous Disease of the Pelvic bones - with suppuration" in Launceston Hospital. Hugh was cremated (C52 Methodist Section), at Carr Villa Cemetery, Launceston, Tasmania.

Disaster struck the Macdougall family again about 25th June 1914 when William had an accident on the "Lorne" property. He was not found for 2 nights and 2 days, having been exposed to extremely cold weather for that long period. Injury and exposure resulted in permanent loss and use of both lower limbs and he never walked or worked again. After 21 months in Hospital on King Island, William was transferred to Launceston Hospital for 6 months. On 4 September 1916 William was transported by car to Hobart. Sarah & William lived at "Bleak House" in Montpelier Road, Battery Point until  17 July 1917, then they took up residence at "Roslyn" in 12 Swan Street, North Hobart until 19 October 1920. Their next move was their last, to "Renfrew" 14 Swan Street, North Hobart. 

 “Out of the jaws of death”

experienced by William and Sarah Macdougall, June/July 1914.

  From diary entries of Leslie S. Macdougall and adapted by Joy Olney 2012.

On Monday 29 June 1914 Sarah Macdougall received a letter from King Island while staying at her sister Susie’s home “Melville House”, in Hobart.

The letter had been written three days after William Macdougall had met with an accident on their property “Lorne” (near Etterick River) towards evening. It appears William had driven thither with a cart load of stuff and had “outspanned”, but coming to the cart to unload he tripped over the belly-band and fell towards the cart, striking the bridge of his nose and injuring his back.  He was found by a passer-by, lying on the ground.  The passer-by rode to Currie and informed Olive and Ila and they came down, bringing the Doctor with them and arriving at “Lorne” at midnight.  The next day William was removed to the Cottage Hospital at Currie and passed the following night fairly well. The letter was dispatched giving what information was available then.

On Friday 3 July mail brought forth further word about William’s accident, showing it to have been much worse than first thought.  He had laid two nights and two days where he fell jambed in against the cart wheel before he was seen and given relief, and paralysis had set in.

The next available boat to King Island was expected to leave Launceston on Thursday 9 July.  Sarah proceeded to Launceston to travel on the SS “Wauchope”.  It did not leave the Launceston wharf until 8 o’clock Friday 10 July – she had been delayed through the boiler wanting repairs. Sarah went across in the ferry boat and boarded SS “Wauchope” at the cattle jetty.

Rev.Wills came to meet Sarah and said he was going to look after her and he proved to be a man of his word.  He made her comfortable in a chair on the deck, with his rug all round her and a motor-veil tied around her head.  When they got to the heads about 5p.m. it was then fearfully rough.  Sarah went to bed in her clothes, fortunately.  She could not stand to get them off.

There was a child and two ladies in the cabin with Sarah.  The boat was crowded - 9 children and a lot of adults.  When they got to Burnie they took on a mother and father with five children, and a man and his two girls, they were now very crowded.  They started off  with 75 cattle and at Burnie put on something the same number and two horses.

The boat left Burnie about midnight and the weather was fearful.  They had to hang onto the hooks and sides of the bunks.  Crockery was banging, everything was on the move.  They thought they would never see land again, and strange to say, Sarah had a feeling that the sooner it was over the better.

SS “Wauchope” got under shelter of the Hunters Islands on the Saturday (Day 2) and stayed there the day and night.  During the next day (Day 3) they got to Frazer on the East Coast of King Island.  The waves were mountains high.  It was thought they would put the cattle over board.  Five had died.  The Captain tried to continue again and they got into Seal Bay, but could get no further, so dropped anchor there. They had to again return to Frazer (Day 4) as the anchor was dragging and it was not safe even with that number of cattle on board.  The ship rose with the mountain of waves and went down on its sides.  It was fearful and pouring rain and terrific wind and hail storms.  They ran out of water – only allowed a very little drop.  They had to keep some for the horses.  The poor cattle were without food and water.  They ran out of bread, no flour, and the last meal was salt pork and Haywood’s biscuits.  It was too rough to get tea carried and the poor stewardess was not well, but she did her best for Sarah.  Mr. Wills dragged himself to the cabin door when he could or get someone to go and see how Sarah was.  He was very attentive.  Sarah will never forget his kindness to her.

In the afternoon of Day 4 the Captain says it is most likely they will be at sea for days as he dared not attempt to try to get in.  They suggested a man be taken in a life boat and a horse being put over to swim ashore. The man would then ride to Currie across from the East Coast, about 30 miles, to get provisions sent to the boat. Mr.Wills came in to tell Sarah that he intended going in the life boat to see if he could get provisions.  He left Sarah with his rug and she watched him go.

The lifeboat returned to the boat after Mr.Wills reached the East Coast Jetty and to Sarah’s surprise Olive Macdougall was in the lifeboat with the sailors. She had ridden out in the storm to see if there was any sight of the boat on the other coast.  Olive said “Mother, have you nerve enough to come in the lifeboat?”  If not, you may be here for days”.  Sarah said “Yes, I will.”

Sarah was lifted by five sailors over the side of the boat and lowered into the lifeboat.  Olive steered, and Sarah was wrapped in Mr.Wills’ rug and the sailors covered her with oilskins.  They were like a cork on the water, up and down, but arrived safely on the Frazer Beach.  Sarah was carried by the sailors on to the beach.

Mr.Wills was there waiting for them and they started for Mr.Button’s house amongst the timber.  Mr.Button used to own “Lorne”.  Mrs.Button came on in all the rain to meet them and did everything for their comfort. She had a big fire, warm clothes and a hot meat tea ready for them.  They were dressed in the Button’s clothes. Olive had called by on her way and had had her lunch there.

Olive immediately went off to ride across country to get the butcher and baker to send out provisions to the boat in case they could not land.  Olive was a BRICK! She thinks of everything. She intends to bring a four-wheeler out to the Frazer to take Mr.Wills and Sarah to Currie on the West Coast. Sarah left the boat without a dress or hat and will not get anything till the boat gets to Currie, but meanwhile Mrs.Button will fix her up.

After three days and nights at sea Mr.Wills and Sarah were looking forward to rest, but neither slept a wink that night at Buttons. They were too upset. Sarah worried about Olive going through rough timber country at night in such a storm.  Olive arrived in Currie at 9p.m. after six hours on horseback in difficult circumstances.

The next morning (Day 5) Mr.Robinson arrived with a pair of horses and a four-wheeler, lots of rugs and clothing Mrs.Robinson had sent them. They lunched together with Mrs.Button and left for a journey Sarah will never forget.  The horses had to go through roads, mud and slush above the axles.  Sarah just shut her eyes and prayed to be safely taken to Currie.  In some parts Olive and Mr. Fred walked up to their ankles in mud, so as to make it lighter for the horses.  They had Mr.Fred’s horse and our Dick.  Neither horse had ever been in a double-harness.  They had Mr. Attrill’s four-wheeler.  Olive drove and Mr.Fred used the whip. Sarah would have given anything for you to have seen Olive in a mackintosh strapped round her waist, leggings, and Mr.Fred’s soft felt hat tied on her head with string.  OLIVE WAS A MARVEL!  Mr.Wills and Sarah were on the back seat with mud splashed all over them. Sarah had a big cloth travelling hood belonging to Mrs.Fred and Aunt Suzie’s mackintosh over her coat.  Sarah had the presence of mind to wrap and pin the mackintosh around her in the boat.

Upon arriving at Currie Mr.Wills was left at Mr.Huxley’s and Sarah will stay at Mr.Ingham’s until she gets her things from the boat. They are truly thankful to have arrived safely in Currie. Sarah was sick only once and that was while they were anchored, she lost a tooth, when and how she does not know, and she had a slight cough.

Wednesday 15 July (Day 6) weather very bad and still no sign of the boat.  They were safe but cannot get into the jetty as it was too dangerous amongst the reefs. Sarah and Mr.Wills are counting their blessings now they have safely landed, while the other poor creatures are still being tossed about and so ill.  Mr.Wills and Sarah are being looked upon as hero and heroine. The old Captain who says Sarah did a brave and dangerous thing to come by the lifeboat and travel by the fearful road in such weather.

Sarah is at last able to visit her husband William in the Cottage Hospital, Currie (16 days after hearing of his unfortunate accident). It will not do to excite him, so she must not stay for long.

William must have an iron constitution to have gone through what he has done and to be on the mend. His nose was smashed in, and now except that it is more of a “Roman” and that he cannot as yet use it, there will not be any disfigurement.  He can move his arms and he can eat.  So far his legs are useless.  It is hoped that he will get the use of his legs in a few weeks when they get the blood circulating again.  He was very comfortable.  There are no other patients in the hospital.  Ila and the Matron are attending to him. His great trouble is that he has no power to make water; it has to be taken away from him.  It looks so strange to see him there with dear old Hughie’s reading-stand fixed to his bed.  He can read now and that will make the time pass.  He has a big fire and all the comforts he can get.  Olive made him some jelly.  People are very good to him.  Ila is so pleased that she can continue nursing him.  She was determined she would not leave him.

Sunday 26 July, and a letter from Sarah to family in Hobart says that William is slightly better.  He can move his legs a little.  The left hand is not much use to him yet and his feet are helpless.  Everything has to be done for him. He was very weary of the long time in bed, but is considered by all, Doctor included, as the wonder of the age. No one else thinks they could have held out so long.

The cry that William put all his strength into when he heard the man passing by on the road, he knew it was his last cry for help, as he could never have lived another hour.  He said he called all day and night for three days and when the man answered his call he could scarcely believe that such good luck could attend him.  The man went into “Lorne”and got some blankets and put them on him. The man could not touch William. He went off for help and fortunately met Tom Denby. The man (named Creasey and who works opposite “Pearshape”) went back to stay with William while Tom Denby went onto Langham’s and got Miss Langham, a nurse who was staying with her brother near the Ettrick River.  She and her brother went onto “Lorne”, Tom Denby went onto Bishoff’s, and Mr.Bishoff and his son went down to “Lorne” with hot-water bags, whisky, brandy, eggs, etc.  Mrs.Bishoff got a room ready at her house and the bed made warm in case it was too far for them to take William to the Hospital.  Tom Denby then went off for the Doctor and to the Lightfoots for the girls (Olive and Ila).  It was fortunate that the Lightfoots were having an evening and the girls were visiting so about 8 miles was saved.  Mr.Willie Lightfoot got the pair horses and four-wheeler and took the girls down, reaching “Lorne” at midnight.  They only knew there was an accident and thought it was the acetylene gas, so you can imagine their feelings that long journey.

William had been put into bed and the fires in all the rooms and hot bottles all around him.  They dared not take his wet clothes off him until he was taken to the hospital at daylight. Strychnine was injected often and brandy given.  They dared not give him food. William said it was lovely to be in the bed warm.

The “party” got supper at “Lorne” in the early morning, cooked chops and sausages that William had taken down for his weeks supply.  They had to eat with their fingers and have basins as they could not find crockery or knives.

When they got William to Hospital the nurse had everything ready for the Doctor.  They had to cut his clothes off him.  He was not out of danger for more than a week.  The Doctor did not think it possible to pull him through. He thinks there is some injury to the spine but cannot say for certain until William gets his circulation back. It will be a very long time and he will never be the same strong man again. He will not be able to leave hospital for a very long time, it will be a lengthy illness. Later the Doctor will try the battery.  William says he has a feeling in his body of suffocation and like a band tight round his waist.

William has very little appetite.  Sarah is cooking all sorts of tempting things that she can take to him and friends are so kind, Mrs.Woods especially. She has sent William two turkeys, one duck, one fowl, pumpkin, egg, etc.  She sends them to Sarah, now that she and Ila are at the “Bungalow”, and Sarah cooks dainty dishes.  This morning William had giblets for breakfast, and broth for lunch, turkey for dinner and fish for tea. The next day Sarah cooked steamed fish and parsley sauce but William only ate a very tiny piece.  For lunch she cooked kangaroo-tail soup and a stuffed wing of turkey but he only took enough to taste. You cannot make him eat, he is stubborn about it.  Sarah is so near to the Hospital.  It does remind Sarah of poor Hughie’s spine trouble.  Sarah is there the best part of the day.  Mrs.Munroe has been very good.  She has sent four lots of beautiful fish.  Mr.Richardson, the Editor of the paper, came up yesterday to see if Sarah needed any wood chopped.  Mr.Fred Bowling came and had lunch with Sarah and William.

William has a chair fixed up with wheels and platform, and put in it for a little time every day. Mr.Batten has done it.  It takes two to lift him.  The maid is a big girl and she helps.

Mrs.Blake is looking after Sarah and says Sarah is to stay with her at night. Sarah is going to Church and enjoys Mr.Perkins preaching. She is feeling perfectly well and looking after herself with food as she knows it necessary to keep up her strength. Sarah is aware of the Haywood’s prayers at quarter to ten every night and thanks Charlie and Susie for praying for her safe journey, and William’s recovery.

News came from King Island on 18 September that the injury William sustained at “Lorne” three months ago, and the subsequent exposure has resulted in the permanent loss of the use of his lower limbs and that therefore he will be unable to walk or work again.

William was 65, Sarah 64, and Olive 26 in 1914 when the accident happened.
The Macdougalls took up farming on King Island in 1901. “Dunollie” was bought mid 1901, just a hut near the Porky River 6 miles north of Currie. Hugh went with his father.
“Lorne” was bought March 1903 - known as the Ettrick property, 5 miles south of Currie where William.A.Macdougall and Hugh lived.
Sarah remained in Launceston running the family Drapers business until it was sold 23 April 1904. Sarah and the girls arrived on King Island to live 14 September 1904 after a small house was built at “Lorne”.          
Hugh got 1907, and was in Launceston Hospital permanently from September 1909 until his death on 7 August 1913. Sarah stayed with various friends in Launceston to be near Hugh from 1909.
Sarah frequently visited her sister Susie Haywood in Hobart, and still in Hobart in 1914 when William had his accident.
Daughters – Ruby, Olive, Ila and Gwen lived on King Island with the family at various times but Olive was “the farmer.” Olive later owned “Three Rivers” (on the main road between the airport and Currie) and other properties. She retired to Naracoopa, remaining on King Island until early 1970s. She spent her last years in a Nursing Home in Lindisfarne She was very over weight, troubled with arthritis and unable to walk.She died in Hobart at 87 years of age.
Rev.Leslie Macdougall visited King Island in 1908 and 1909. He took Beatrice & Winsome in 1915. 
William was transferred from King Island to Launceston Hospital in March 1916 for 6 months.
William and Sarah retired to “Renfrew” 14 Swan Street, New Town, Hobart on 19 October 1920.
William remained in a wheel chair for a total of 16 years until his death on 2 July 1930 at 81 years.
Sarah visited Olive on King Island many times before her death on 21 August 1941 at 91 years. 

Sarah Ann Macdougall 1850 - 1941

Photos taken in 2007 when Joy & Peter Olney visited King Island.

William & Sarah Macdougall's "Dunollie" property on King Island in 2007.

William & Sarah Macdougall's "Lorne" property on King Island in 2007.

Location of where the house on "Lorne" property would have been.

Olive Macdougall took possession of "Three Rivers" on 7 April 1934. Still known as "Three Rivers".

The beach at Naracoopa where Sarah Macdougall went ashore in a life boat - July 1914.

Sarah & William celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary on 15 April 1926 at 14 Swan St.

Family celebrating William & Sarah's 50th wedding anniversary 15 April 1926 at "Renfrew" 14 Swan Street, North Hobart.  Standing back - Gwen Calvert, Ila & Len Griffiths, Beatrice & Leslie Macdougall, Ruby Macdougall. Front row with Grandchilren - Dorothy Macdougall, Pat Fagan, Sarah Macdougall, Margaret Macdougall, William Macdougall, Winsome Macdougall, Tom Griffiths.

Sarah & William Macdougall on their 50th wedding anniversary 15 April 1926.

"Renfrew" 14 Swan Street, North Hobart, where Sarah & William Macdougall lived from 19 October 1920. William sat at the window upstairs for 10 years unable to use his lower limbs. William died 2 July 1930 and Sarah died 21 August 1941.

Swan Street Methodist Church. Macdougalls lived in No.14 - the last two storey dwelling. Photo taken 2005.

Home of Gwenneth Calvert at 12 Mercer Street, New Town. Taken 2005.

Home of Gwenneth Calvert at 31 Sandy Bay Road, Sandy Bay, Hobart. Taken 2005.

Sarah Macdougall (83) flew from Launceston to Essendon on 7 March 1934 to visit her son Leslie Macdougall and returned to King Island on 3 May 1934 Daughter Olive Macdougall met her in King Island.

Leslie Stuart Macdougall taken 1909.
Hugh Campbell Macdougall died 1913.

Ruby Frederica Macdougall
Ila & Leonard Griffiths with children Patricia and Thomas.

Gwenneth Lenore Macdougall

Sarah Macdougall with sister Susannah Haywood.

Obituary – Mr.W.A.Macdougall
With tragic suddenness the death occurred at his home, 14 Swan Street, Hobart on Wednesday night of Mr.William Arthur Macdougall, at the age of 82 years.  Mr.Macdougall was known in many parts of the State, he having taken up residence successively at Bellerive, Hobart, Launceston, King Island and Hobart.  In the latter years of his life he was confined to an invalid’s chair, as a result of an accident while he was on King Island.  Mr.Macdougall was seated at his evening meal on Wednesday when he expired.
The late Mr.Macdougall spent his early life at Bellerive, with his parents and after a short period of residence in Hobart, a few years later, he entered the service of the late Mr.W.F.Brownell.  After his marriage he went to Launceston to take charge of a business and settled there, and after a few years set himself up in business as a draper in the Northern city.  He remained in the North for several years, but when settlement began on King Island he sold his business and went to the island, interesting himself in cattle-raising.  During his residence on the island he met with a serious accident.  Walking from his main farm to another pasture, he tripped over a chain of a chaise cart, was rendered unconscious.  He was in that state for several hours.  Medical assistance was sought at Currie Hospital and it was found that his spine was injured.  The injuries attendant upon the accident were present until his death – a period of some 16 years.  Mr.Macdougall after a period in the Launceston Public Hospital, returned to Hobart with his family.

Grand Lodge Work
The late Mr.Macdougall was a prominent member of the Masonic Order, his outstanding work in this connection being in the Grand Lodge of Tasmania.  He was one of the founders of the Grand Lodge, and was one of its first officers.  He held office as Deputy Grand Master in 1895.  It is noteworthy that Mr.Macdougall was one of the few surviving officers of the Grand Lodge in its infancy, amongst being Sir.Elliott Lewis and Alderman E.J.Rogers C.M.G.
Mr.Macdougall is survived by his widow, four daughters, one of whom is the wife of Hon.W.H.Calvert M.L.C. and one son, the Rev.L.S.Macdougall, of the Peace Memorial Methodist Church, East Malvern, Victoria.
The funeral will arrive at Cornelian Bay cemetery at 3.15pm today.
(Notice published in “The Mercury” Friday 4 July 1930, page 12).

Sarah & William Macdougall were buried at Cornelian Bay Cemetery, Hobart. Also included in the grave are Ila Griffiths, Ruby & Olive Macdougall and Gwenneth Calvert.

I suggest you also take a look at 

Rev Leslie S.Macdougall wrote detailed diaries from 1895 - 1948 which record much about the Macdougall family through those years.

If you have any comments or corrections please contact the author Joy Olney by email -